Follow these guidelines when creating environments you wish to use as custom rooms to SynergyXRBest practices:
- Keep surfaces as flat as possible (walls, floor and ceiling).
- Walls, floor, ceiling and other surfaces need colliders. Use box colliders where possible.
- If there is a built-on skybox, its radius must be less than 600 meters and preferably more than 4 times the size of the room.
- If possible, use non directional lightmaps to improve performance
- Use a uniform and simple lighting setup
- Avoid spaces less than 2 meters in any dimension
- Sprite renderer is not supported, use render texture or textured quad instead.
- Keep 3d model under 100.000 tris, and always as low as possible with acceptable result.
- Consider the combined number of polygons and textures for room and content if you want to fit a lot of content into a room.
- Be selective with large texture usage. One texture used multiple times counts as just 1.
(Only in rooms, not for content)
- Do not duplicate materials, if you could instead use the same material again. Multiple usage of the same material still counts as just 1 material. (Only in rooms, not for content)
- The fewer textures a material is using, the less impact on performance.
- Keep textures as low as possible; resolution 72dpi with pixel width and height in a power of two (...32, 64, 256, 512, 1024, 2048...). File size also matters, so compress tour textures using e.g. .jpeg compression.
- Maximum 2048x2048px, preferably 1024, 512 or even less when sensible.
- Every single texture (Albedo map, metallic/smoothness map, normal map, Occlusion map etc.) used in a material counts as another texture - keep total amount of textures minimal.
- Use baked lighting only.
Examples based on purpose:
Example #1: Content is focus (Auditorium):
- Total mesh: ~6.500 tris
- Total materials: 8
- Total textures: 1k: 5, 512: 4, 256: 3
- Total mesh: ~20.000 tris
- Total materials: 13
- Total textures: 2k: 1, 1k: 5, 512: 9, 256: 3
Example #3: Room is focus (Tutorial Room):
- Total mesh: ~250.000 tris.
- Total materials: 22
- Total texture maps- 4K: 4, 2K: 1, 1k: 9, 512: 9, 256: 2